Use video to fully engage your audience with the right blend of imagery, sound and message.
When creating your video, be sure to follow CSC brand guidelines without exception.
That means adhering to strict specifications for the use of color, font, projection boxes, photography and many other core elements.
Review samples of on-brand videos to ensure that you have successfully complied with these critical guidelines.
How to Create Effective Videos
• When filming people, remember that eye-level shots provide the most natural and comfortable perspective.
• Avoid extreme high and low angles.
• For B-roll footage, you can use more varied angles, but use complicated or elaborate angles sparingly.
• Use light-colored backgrounds.
• Use uncluttered backgrounds that provide visual context and support the topic or person speaking, but do not distract the viewer.
• Aim for deliberate, conventional camera motion. Use a tripod when possible. Avoid frenetic, jerky or blurred motion.
• Avoid dark or ominous lighting.
• Light people and objects brightly.
• Limit harsh or silhouetted lighting, and do not create harsh shadows.
• People should be neither too formal nor too relaxed, appearing genuine, not “salesy.”
• Avoid giving the sense that the person is reading from a script or teleprompter.
• Attire and appearance should be neat and tidy. Very bright colors, high-contrast patterns, stripes or plaids should not be worn, nor should small repeating patterns such as checks or houndstooth.
• Be sure to strictly observe all CSC brand guidelines that govern the use of photography.
• Use subtle transitions (such as a cross-dissolve) between video rolls or when moving between video and graphics.
• Do not overuse transitions.
Use music to create a mood, mark transitions, advance the story or otherwise complement visual content while keeping the viewer’s interest.
• Sound levels should not overpower the speaker.
• Music genre should match the subject matter.
• Sound effects should be subtle and not cartoonish.
GET MORE INFORMATION
Access detailed brand compliance and design specifications for videos.
Learn about the standard CSC video types, including formats and communications aims.