Transformational Change at National Grid
- Move on from its past, as a public sector body, to its future as a high-performing private sector enterprise.
- A long-term change programme based on CSC’s unique Transformational IQ methodology.
- All key objectives were successfully met, with some targets exceeded.
- The IS organisation well on track for enabling business transformation across the whole company.
National Grid is on a journey from its past, as a public sector body, to its future as a high-performing private sector enterprise. That involves potentially disruptive change in many different dimensions, with key objectives that include
- Removal of post-acquisition issues, including country and business unit silos.
- Synergy in business processes
- Building a more agile and market-responsive organization
- Simultaneous delivery of major investment plans without disruption.
CSC’s proposed a long-term change programme based on its unique Transforma¬tional IQ methodology. This was developed by CSC to manage transformational change in many dimensions, on a continuous basis, involving both client business units and specialist external partners.
CSC and National Grid rapidly agreed a clear set of practical and measurable targets, expressed in a permanent framework for managing transformation in four workstreams: Service Strategy, Service Delivery, Service Transformation and Service Innovation.
Each of these now has its own governance forum, in which stakeholders come together to develop policy, manage performance and monitor progress against agreed targets.
As the first year of activity came to an end, all key objectives had been successfully met, with some targets exceeded, and the IS organisation considered itself to be well on track for enabling business transformation across the whole company, as required by senior management. Highlights include:
- A significant budget challenge successfully dealt with, avoiding service impact and disruption.
- Governance meetings in the service space reduced from 28 to 1 each month, freeing up a time to support service delivery transformation while safeguarding business as usual.
The right partner
“We needed the right partner to deliver change on such an ambitious level: a partner with impeccable technology credentials, a determination to deliver and the consultancy skills to take a disparate group of stakeholders with us,” says Nigel Walker, Service Integration Manager, National Grid.
“CSC is the ideal partner. They have the vision to understand what we need to do and the skilled pragmatism to make it happen.”