CSC UK's Smart Business blog
Welcome to CSC UK's Smart Business blog. Hear our experts' views on topical stories and share with us your thoughts on how technology can help organisations achieve their objectives3.
- There's a great quote which was shared on Linkedin recently: "A User Interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good". And with most devices, the ones with well designed user-interfaces, tend to be the ones we like using.
- The Smart Home market is a big business and it's growing globally, projected to reach $71.8bn by 2017. The Internet of Things appears to have reached our homes with a vast array of devices to control appliances, unlock doors, detect intruders, dim our lights and control our heating. But how much of this actually relates to Smart Metering?
- In biological psychology, "Awareness", is defined as a perception and cognitive reaction to a condition or event. Realising that something is bad for you, or costing you money, for example, can cause action to be taken to prevent it from happening. How can you stop putting on weight? Becoming more aware of how much saturated fat and calories certain foods contain will make you think twice about putting them into your shopping basket.
- Star Trek (The Original Series) my favourite TV show of all time. Wednesday night at 7.10pm on BBC2 was the highlight of my week when my parent's new colour TV blasted out Alexander Courage's memorable theme tune.
- I've been keenly interested in the BMW i3 since its announcement as a concept at the 2011 Frankfurt car show. Hailed as an 'urban electric vehicle' (meaning it can't travel far) having finally had a chance to see one at my local dealer, as far as specifications and coolness factor goes, it's very impressive .
- For most people that question entails locking the doors, switching all the downstairs lights out, turning the TV off and turning the heating down. For others it also includes feeding the cat, filling the dishwasher up and emptying the bin. What a chore!
- What's the ideal source of energy? One that is clean, perpetual, reliable, safe, abundant and cheap of course. Can you think of one? Fossil fuels are dirty. And they are becoming harder to find and harder to extract. And more expensive. While statistically, nuclear is safe, Chernobyl and Fukushima said otherwise.
- The IoT finally gains momentum…. though one could argue that it's been around since 1991 when RFID was seen as a prerequisite to enable the identification and integration of everyday objects.
- How are you planning for the digital revolution? For some it's a rapid evolution, for others a true revolution while some might still say it’s passing them by. So what are the challenges, threats and opportunities that the digital revolution offers?
- Ever since the idea of Smart Metering was conceived, there's been a lot of discussion, dissent and fear of energy retailers having access to personal information. Taken to extremes, some customers have been arrested because they have objected to the installation of what they have perceived as a 'surveillance device'.