CSC UK's Smart Business Blog Has Moved
Please visit the new Smart Business for the latest perspectives from CSC UK.
- As a CIO and Client for 28 years my 'Golden Rule' was that you could never outsource the ownership of risk - its still your risk!
- The plethora of devices I have is growing. A company mobile phone; a personal mobile; an ipad, a laptop, oh and a wifi hotspot dongle! I cannot fit them all in my bag, or on the little table on the train, or my passenger seat in the car is overflowing with cables, usb adpaters and other clever gizmos.
- Retail has always been about detail. However, today retail is more about 'relevance' and the ability to use data to treat every single consumer as a unique individual. The biggest "aha" moment comes with the realisation that most marketers were trained in the idea of marketing to large segments, or groups of people who displayed similar shopping behaviour characteristics.
- Nearly a year ago, and with very little publicity given the significance of what it was doing, Google launched Google Genomics. Google Genomics is a cloud-based service, aimed at large hospitals and medical universities. It allows them to move DNA data into Google’s server farms, and provides an interface or API to support detailed analysis of that data using the same algorithmic-based technology they apply to web searches.
- Last year, CSC was lucky enough to be invited to work with a Trust to create an outline business case around their need for a TeleHealth service. The idea was that we would have a number of meetings and workshops, and from those, prove whether there would be value in the Trust implementing such an initiative, and if so, where best to target it first.
- Clive Flashman talks about more money, more patient empowerment, fewer silos - déja vȗ?
- There's a great quote which was shared on Linkedin recently: "A User Interface is like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not that good". And with most devices, the ones with well designed user-interfaces, tend to be the ones we like using.
- The Smart Home market is a big business and it's growing globally, projected to reach $71.8bn by 2017. The Internet of Things appears to have reached our homes with a vast array of devices to control appliances, unlock doors, detect intruders, dim our lights and control our heating. But how much of this actually relates to Smart Metering?
- In biological psychology, "Awareness", is defined as a perception and cognitive reaction to a condition or event. Realising that something is bad for you, or costing you money, for example, can cause action to be taken to prevent it from happening. How can you stop putting on weight? Becoming more aware of how much saturated fat and calories certain foods contain will make you think twice about putting them into your shopping basket.
- Star Trek (The Original Series) my favourite TV show of all time. Wednesday night at 7.10pm on BBC2 was the highlight of my week when my parent's new colour TV blasted out Alexander Courage's memorable theme tune.