CSC Delivers Revenue Growth, Year-over-Year and Sequential Commercial Margin Expansion and Record Adjusted Free Cash Flow in Third Quarter 2017
News Release -- February 02, 2017
- Q3 Earnings per Share from Continuing Operations of $0.21 includes Cumulative Impact of Certain Items of $(0.60) per Share
- Q3 Non-GAAP Earnings per Share from Continuing Operations were $0.81, compared with $0.73 in prior year
- Income from Continuing Operations of $37 Million includes Certain Items of $(86) Million
- Consolidated Segment Commercial Operating Income of $177 Million, adjusted for Certain Items is $227 Million and Consolidated Segment Commercial Operating Margin on the same basis is 11.8%, compared with 11.1% in the prior year
- Q3 Net Cash from Operating Activities of $563 Million
- Adjusted Free Cash Flow of $299 Million for Q3 2017
- FY17 Non-GAAP EPS from Continuing Operations Target Remains $2.75 to $3.00
TYSONS, Va., Feb. 2, 2017 – CSC (NYSE: CSC) today reported results for the third quarter of fiscal year 2017.
“CSC continued to execute on our strategic roadmap in the third quarter, in which CSC delivered revenue growth, year-over-year and sequential margin improvement, and record adjusted free cash flow,” said Mike Lawrie, chairman, president and CEO. "Revenue was up nearly 14 percent in constant currency driven by growth in next generation and Business Process Services offerings, as well as the contributions of our recent acquisitions. In addition, we remain on track to complete our proposed merger with the Enterprise Services business of Hewlett Packard Enterprise on or about April 1.”
- Diluted earnings per share from continuing operations were $0.21 in the third quarter, compared with $0.15 in the year-ago period. Diluted earnings per share from continuing operations included $(0.06) per share of restructuring costs and $(0.54) per share of transaction and other integration-related costs.
- Non-GAAP diluted earnings per share from continuing operations excluding these items were $0.81, compared with $0.73 in the prior period.
- Income from continuing operations before taxes was $50 million for the third quarter, compared with $78 million in the prior year and includes $(12) million of restructuring and $(109) million of transaction and other integration-related costs. Excluding the impact of these items, non-GAAP income from continuing operations, before taxes was $171 million compared with $124 million a year ago.
- Consolidated segment commercial operating income, which includes GBS and GIS, excluding certain items, was $227 million compared with $195 million in the third quarter of fiscal 2016. Consolidated segment commercial operating margin on the same basis was 11.8% compared to 11.1% in the prior year.
- Net cash provided by operating activities was $563 million in the third quarter, compared to $258 million in the prior year.
- Adjusted free cash flow was $299 million in the third quarter, compared to $169 million in the prior year.
Global Business Services
GBS revenue of $1,046 million in the quarter compares with $886 million in the year ago quarter, an increase of 18.1%. GBS revenue increased 22.3% year-over-year in constant currency. GBS revenue growth was driven by momentum in our Business Process Services offerings, as well as the contributions of our recent acquisitions. GBS consolidated segment operating margin in the quarter, excluding the impact of certain items, was 13.3% up from 13.1% in the prior year. New business awards for GBS were $1.1 billion in the third quarter.
Global Infrastructure Services
GIS revenue of $871 million in the quarter compares with $864 million in the year-ago quarter, an increase of 0.8%. GIS revenue increased 4.9% year-over-year in constant currency. The GIS revenue increase was driven by the growth in our next generation offerings and the contributions of our recent acquisitions. GIS consolidated segment operating margin in the quarter, excluding the impact of certain items, was 10.1% up from to 9.1% in the prior year, reflecting a shift in mix toward cloud-based software solutions. New business awards for GIS were $1.3 billion in the third quarter.
Returning Capital to Shareholders
During the third quarter, CSC returned $20 million to shareholders consisting of common stock dividends.
CSC had 140,984,524 basic shares outstanding on December 30, 2016.
Earnings Conference Call and Webcast
CSC senior management will host a conference call and webcast today at 5 p.m. EST. The dial-in number for domestic callers is 877-852-6583. Callers who reside outside of the United States or Canada should dial +1-719-325-4771. The passcode for all participants is 6790196. The webcast audio and any presentation slides will be available on CSC’s Investor Relations website.
A replay of the conference call will be available from approximately two hours after the conclusion of the call until February 9, 2016. The replay dial-in number is 888-203-1112 for domestic callers and +1-719-457-0820 for callers who reside outside of the United States and Canada. The replay passcode is also 6790196. A replay of this webcast will also be available on CSC’s Investor Relations website.
In an effort to provide investors with additional information regarding the Company’s preliminary and unaudited
results as determined by U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), the Company has also disclosed in this press release preliminary non-GAAP information and certain further adjustments thereto, which management believes provides useful information to investors, including: constant currency, consolidated segment operating income, consolidated segment commercial operating income, consolidated segment commercial operating margin, consolidated segment adjusted operating income, consolidated segment operating and adjusted operating margin, earnings before interest and taxes (EBIT), adjusted EBIT, EBIT and adjusted EBIT margin, adjusted free cash flow and non-GAAP results including non-GAAP income from continuing operations and non-GAAP diluted earnings per share from continuing operations. Reconciliations of the preliminary non-GAAP measures to the respective and most directly comparable GAAP measures, as well as the rationale for management’s use of non-GAAP measures are included below.
CSC (NYSE: CSC) leads clients on their digital transformation journeys. The company provides innovative next-generation technology services and solutions that leverage deep industry expertise, global scale, technology independence and an extensive partner community. CSC serves leading commercial and international public sector organizations throughout the world. CSC is a Fortune 500 company and ranked among the best corporate citizens. For more information, visit the company's website at www.csc.com.
All statements in this press release and in all future press releases that do not directly and exclusively relate to historical facts constitute “forward-looking statements.” These statements represent the Company’s intentions, plans, expectations and beliefs, and are subject to risks, uncertainties and other factors, many of which are outside the Company’s control. These factors could cause actual results to differ materially from such forward looking statements. For a written description of these factors, see the section titled “Risk Factors” in CSC’s Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended April 1, 2016 and any updating information in subsequent SEC filings. The Company disclaims any intention or obligation to update these forward-looking statements whether as a result of subsequent events or otherwise, except as required by law.