CSC and IBM Expanding Alliance to Speed Clients’ Adoption of Hybrid Cloud, Mobile and Big Data
News Release -- August 07, 2014
- Combining mobile, Big Data, cloud and next-gen IT infrastructure capabilities to give clients greater choice, agility, flexibility and cost savings
- CSC to establish a new IBM Center of Excellence to offer clients SoftLayer® cloud services and IBM Bluemix™ cloud development platform
- IBM and CSC to enable CSC’s ServiceMesh Agility Platform™ to deploy to IBM Bluemix™ and SoftLayer® cloud environments
- Both companies to collaborate on consulting, apps modernization tools, Big Data and analytics, cloud and mobile capabilities, and security to create a single, consumable services framework
FALLS CHURCH, V.A. and ARMONK, N.Y., Aug. 7, 2014 – Leading technology companies CSC (NYSE: CSC) and IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced they are building on their existing alliance with new ways to help global customers accelerate their transition to the cloud.
Enterprise clients increasingly are seeking to use the cloud to enhance workforce performance, advance mobility, improve access to information and gain competitive advantage – without losing their existing infrastructure investment. CSC and IBM together will address these growing needs by developing and offering clients a broad set of secure cloud solutions offered “as-a-service” to increase operational agility, choice, flexibility, and cost-savings. In addition to app development and infrastructure management, new offerings to clients include:
- A CSC Center of Excellence (“CoE”) offering clients a broad range of IBM solutions and platforms, including IBM Cloud’s SoftLayer® infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) and BluemixTM, IBM’s open cloud platform for development of web and mobile applications;
- The compatibility of SoftLayer IaaS with CSC’s ServiceMesh Agility Platform™, which will enable customers to simplify and standardize the deployment, integration, and management of solutions built on SoftLayer, an IBM company, Bluemix and other cloud environments;
- The future addition of CSC’s ServiceMesh Agility Platform to the IBM Cloud Marketplace, which allows developers, IT managers and business leaders to learn, try and buy software and services from IBM and its global partner ecosystem;
- A joint marketing, sales and consulting collaboration to create a single, consumable services framework to support client app development and modernization, Big Data and Analytics, cloud and mobility infrastructure capabilities, and security.
The expanded alliance advances CSC’s vision of the "Service-Enabled Enterprise" and IBM’s “as-a-service” strategy, both designed to increase customer choice and innovation in adopting emerging technologies needed to harness the potential around Big Data, cloud and “systems of engagement” – or mobile and social apps. This will accelerate both companies’ speed-to-market capabilities with modernized applications that are informed by analytics, live in any cloud, and securely serve the growing information and accessibility needs of users anytime, anywhere.
IBM has been aggressively moving forward with its SoftLayer offerings, building out a network of 40 cloud centers across the globe. Since its $2 billion acquisition of SoftLayer a year ago, IBM has poured $1 billion into a new Watson business unit, with Watson running on SoftLayer, and another $1 billion to establish the Bluemix cloud platform-as-a-service (PaaS) to help millions of developers build cloud applications running on SoftLayer, with work based on Cloud Foundry. The IBM Cloud marketplace hosts hundreds of SaaS and infrastructure cloud services for business and IT professionals, as well as developers, to bring the breadth of IBM-as-a-service to clients in just a few clicks.
“Enhancing our partnership with IBM strengthens CSC’s strategy to modernize, mobilize, integrate, secure and manage the evolving global application ecosystem and our ability to helping clients transition to the hybrid cloud,” said Jim Smith, executive vice president & general manager, CSC Global Business Services. “By collaborating, CSC and IBM can ensure that clients put the right information into the right employee hands at the right time wherever they may be. Clients will benefit from greater choice, operational agility, cost savings, and integration flexibility when they become cloud-empowered enterprises.”
“IBM Cloud is designed to assist clients in the hybrid cloud era, from the powerful footprint of SoftLayer to the rapid app development environment of Bluemix to the breadth of our Software-as-a-Service offerings on the IBM Cloud marketplace.” said Steve Robinson, General Manager of IBM Cloud Platform Services. “As we expand our relationship with CSC, we will work to bring even greater flexibility to our client bases as they increase their social, mobile and Big Data workloads in the cloud.”
Additional Detail on the CSC and IBM Alliance
- CSC Center of Excellence for IBM Products and Solutions – The CoE will provide advisory services for customers adopting IBM technology and will support joint solution-definition, applications integration, sales and delivery activities. CSC customers will have access to standardized CSC-designed solutions built on IBM cloud and mobility platforms, as well as integration solutions to support the addition of IBM mobile and Big Data and Analytics solutions. CSC plans to certify up to 2,000 consultants, project managers, architects and developers over three years on selected IBM technologies such as SoftLayer and Bluemix cloud services, as well as IBM developer and integration tools such as WebSphere and Cast Iron.
- Mobility and Digital Services – CSC will offer elements of the IBM MobileFirst application development portfolio as-a-service, combining CSC’s mobility services with IBM technologies to bring clients rapid and creative mobile app development, as well as strategies to secure mobile devices and data. With standardization on the IBM MobileFirst portfolio already underway, CSC soon will launch a mobile healthcare program for its Lorenzo healthcare software product, and is planning similar mobile programs in the banking and insurance markets.
- Applications Development and Modernization Services – CSC will provide Applications Management services to clients for IBM-designed apps, as well as extend app development as-a-service to IBM mainframe Z environments. Additionally, CSC will add IBM’s DevOps tools to its portfolio for more rapid and accurate app development, and establish a global testing practice for IBM Rational services virtualization.
- Big Data and Analytics – CSC's portfolio of Big Data services will combine with IBM’s comprehensive suite of Big Data and Analytics software to help clients improve efficiency, insight and innovation while managing risk. CSC plans to launch new Big Data and Analytics services based on key IBM technologies, including InfoSphere Streams, InfoSphere BigInsights and DB2 with BLU Acceleration, in target markets that include insurance, healthcare, mining, transportation, oil and gas, and telecommunications.
- Cloud Services – CSC will make SoftLayer’s global cloud footprint compatible with its ServiceMesh Agility Platform, enabling clients to assimilate SoftLayer into hybrid-cloud environments. The companies will jointly develop use cases for the ServiceMesh Agility Platform on SoftLayer and Bluemix to complement IBM offerings, and IBM will also plan to offer the ServiceMesh solution in the IBM Cloud Marketplace.
For more on the CSC – IBM alliance, go to: http://www.csc.com/global_alliances/alliances/32238-ibm.
About IBM Cloud Computing
Today, IBM has 100+ cloud SaaS solutions, thousands of experts with deep industry knowledge helping clients transform and a network of 40 data centers worldwide. Since 2007, IBM has invested more than $7 billion in 17 acquisitions to accelerate its cloud initiatives and build a high value cloud portfolio. IBM holds 1,560 cloud patents focused on driving innovation. In fact, IBM for the 21st consecutive year topped the annual list of US patent leaders. IBM processes more than 5.5M client transactions daily through IBM’s public cloud. For more information about cloud offerings from IBM, visit http://www.ibm.com/cloud. Follow us on Twitter at @IBMcloud and on our blog at http://www.thoughtsoncloud.com. Join the conversation #ibmcloud.
Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC) is a global leader of next generation information technology (IT) services and solutions. The Company's mission is to enable superior returns on our client's technology investments through best-in-class industry solutions, domain expertise and global scale. CSC has approximately 76,000 employees and reported revenue of $13.0 billion for the 12 months ended July 4, 2014. For more information, visit the company's website at www.csc.com.
All statements in this press release and in all future press releases that do not directly and exclusively relate to historical facts constitute “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements represent the Company’s intentions, plans, expectations and beliefs, and are subject to risks, uncertainties and other factors, many of which are outside the Company’s control. These factors could cause actual results to differ materially from such forward-looking statements. For a written description of these factors, see the section titled “Risk Factors” in CSC’s Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended March 28, 2014 and any updating information in subsequent SEC filings. The Company disclaims any intention or obligation to update these forward-looking statements whether as a result of subsequent event or otherwise, except as required by law.