Regulatory Information Management (RIM) in the Cloud: 10 Facts You Should Know
Worried about meeting stringent security requirements and complying with complex regulations, some life sciences IT leaders have been hesitant to move to the cloud. They wonder whether cloud computing is secure enough to meet the needs of life sciences organizations, or whether it can meet tough regulatory requirements.
Cloud computing offers the value and flexibility that can help life sciences enterprises speed up product development, simplify data exchange and ultimately produce better patient outcomes. Recent improvements in cloud technologies have led to more sophisticated services that feature enhanced security and a clear path to successful regulatory compliance.
Consumerization, the explosion of electronic health records and the rise of personalized medicine are quickly transforming the industry. As partnerships and acquisitions become more commonplace, life sciences companies now need to deal with greater complexities in how data is shared and integrated, both internally and externally.
Cloud computing is radically changing business ecosystems. Once little more than an industry buzzword, cloud computing is maturing into a standard solution used by organizations large and small. Industry researchers have said that in a few years, clouds will stop being called “clouds” and will simply become the new way IT is provisioned and the new way business is conducted.
Key benefits of moving to the cloud include:
- Creates a more agile organization with more dynamic processes
- Speeds software development cycles
- Allows organizations to more quickly adapt to regulatory changes
- Reduces implementation and day-to-day management overhead
- Provides the ability to ramp up quickly in a controlled time frame
- Offers a wide array of options in areas such as disaster recovery and system monitoring
- Transforms the cost structure to a fully managed service chargeable on a monthly basis
- Improves transparency of costs by letting finance teams better understand cash flows
In this white paper, we discuss the top 10 things to consider when moving to the cloud.