Managed Intrusion Detection for a Global Chemical and Energy Giant
Client:A global chemical company
- Achieve improved audit findings and ensure the most effective monitoring coverage of the enterprise network
- Design and implement an improved, automated Intrusion Detection System (IDS)
- Greatly improved visibility and control over global business environment
- Decreased reaction time to security events
- Improved network performance
Since 1999, CSC has provided intrusion detection service for one of the world’s largest chemical companies. After experiencing findings in successive security audits, the client contacted CSC to help achieve improved audit findings and to ensure the most effective monitoring coverage of the enterprise network.
The First Step: Current State Assessment
CSC began by analyzing the client's environment and its existing IT security policies, standards, procedures, and best practices. Through this analysis, we identified the client's business-critical areas and determined monitoring requirements. Then our security engineers studied the client's IT architecture and created a detailed map.
Collaborating to design the right solution
CSC worked closely with the client to design and implement an improved, automated Intrusion Detection System (IDS). This streamlined solution, customized for the client's needs, reduced incident reaction time and improved overall protection.
The new IDS was implemented in phases to minimize risk and ensure a smooth transition to the client’s global environment. The first phase involved deploying network-based sensors along the perimeter and host-based sensors on business critical platforms. This initial deployment was completed on time and under budget.
After the initial deployment, the client brought in an independent, third-party audit team to attempt penetration of the networks. The new IDS detected all penetration attempts — an impressive confirmation of CSC’s solution.
During the roll-out, CSC advanced the deployment schedule twice to get IDS sensors in place for previously scheduled security audits. The system delivered the expected favorable audit findings for the client.
Finally, CSC expanded coverage globally to provide comprehensive visibility that allowed the client to monitor, detect and react rapidly to events throughout its global business environment.
Improving the system
CSC’s ongoing management of the solution includes identifying and recommending improvements, such as a complete technology refresh, which was performed in 2003. Refreshing the IDS technology ensured the scalability of the system and reduced its annual cost while further increasing visibility of the environment.
This client now relies on CSC's Managed Intrusion Detection Service for the following:
- Network monitoring 24/7 around the world
- In-depth analysis of suspected intrusions, incident management, real-time monitoring and escalation
- Response coordination with the client security team and IT management
- Maintenance and management of the enterprise Intrusion Detection System
Benefits: Reduced risk exposure, improved control
Our service has brought many benefits to the client, including:
- Greatly improved visibility and control over the worldwide business environment
- Decreased reaction time to global events
- Better protection of the environment from attacks such as worms and, consequently, better network performance
- Immediate detection of suspicious activity, leading to confirmation of illegal actions
- Rapid identification of a malicious attack on the infrastructure, and a response quick enough to prevent damage
Learn more about CSC's Chemical capabilities.