St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney and CSC’s MedChart
Client:St Vincent’s Hospital (public) Sydney
- High cost and prevalence of medical errors associated with mediation use
- CSC’s MedChart - a medication management system comprising ePrescribing, pharmacy review and medication administration
- Proven 57.5 percent reduction in prescribing error and a 44 percent reduction in harmful errors
- Strong staff support
One of the earliest adopters of electronic medication management (EMM) in Australia, St. Vincent's hospital Sydney implemented CSC's MedChart solution and today the system is used across all wards has significantly reduced clinical risk and harm.
Aware of the error prone nature of medication use and the resultant high cost and incidence of medical error, St. Vincent’s sought a solution to reduce clinical risk and improve medication safety across the entire hospital.
CSC’s MedChart - a medication management system comprising ePrescribing, pharmacy review and medication administration, is designed by clinicians for clinicians, to reduce risk, error and inefficiency and improve care coordination.
MedChart is now used across all wards in the Hospital.
Since implementing MedChart across all 340 beds, St Vincent’s have standardised medicines management and achieved signification clinical and business value.
- Proven Error Reduction - In a published study conducted by University of NSW’s Professor Johanna Westbrook, prescribing error was reduced by 57.5 percent in wards using MedChart. Serious medication errors were reduced by 44 percent. St. Vincent’s was ‘Hospital B’ in the paper
- Improved Compliance and Safety - St. Vincent’s have configured more than 370 rules and 80 protocols that guide users in the safe and efficacious use of medications
- EQuIP5 Accreditation - Outstanding Achievement - In April 2012, St. Vincent’s achieved the highest possible Australian Council of Hospital Accreditation (ACHS) evaluation, Outstanding Achievement, for the EQuIP5 criterion 1.5.1 governing the use of medications in hospital
- Improved Efficiency – issues of illegibility, lost or duplicate charts have been eliminated saving significant nursing, pharmacy and clinician time
With 8,500 healthcare experts, we can help. Contact our team