At CSC, the diversity of our employees and suppliers is far more than a nice idea. Diversity is, in fact, integral to the company’s strategy for business growth.
CSC is a leader in recognizing the importance of a diverse workplace. In part, that’s a reflection of our size and scope: We employ EMPLOYEES people in over 70 countries, operate major offices on four continents — North America, Australia, Europe and Asia — and work with suppliers from around the globe. In our leadership statements and elsewhere, CSC has firmly committed itself to treating all its employees and suppliers with fairness and respect.
Key Diversity Initiatives
But CSC has done far more than simply state its intention to support a diverse workforce. The company has also taken numerous actions, including:
- An award-winning CSC supplier-diversity program, which awards more than $1 billion a year in contracts to women-and minority-owned businesses, small businesses and other diverse suppliers
- CSC Employee Resource Groups, which let employees share ideas and form professional-mentoring relationships
- CSC Global Diversity Council, which meets to discuss best practices.
CSC truly values a diverse workforce. The company offers extensive recruiting efforts for diverse groups. While CSC’s diversity efforts vary by region and country, we actively recruit candidates with disabilities, women, minorities, veterans, gay and lesbians, and older workers.
CSC also makes a special effort to retain its diverse employees. The company does so by ensuring that these employees have options for professional development, an upward path for job advancement, and numerous opportunities to fully reach their workplace potential.
To ensure that CSC’s diversity efforts are coordinated worldwide, the company has established a Global Diversity Council. This council includes representatives from business and regional sectors, senior Human Resource (HR) officers, and the CDO. The group meets regularly to discuss best practices for a diverse workplace.
Employee Resource Groups
Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) are another way that CSC fosters a diverse workplace. These groups are created by employees, for employees. They exist to provide both regional and global forums where employees with similar professional interests can meet to advance best practices, share ideas, and form professional and mentoring relationships. Starting this year, representatives from the ERGs will also meet with the CSC Global Council to exchange ideas with the company’s senior managers.
To date, CSC employees have formed eight ERGs:
- Abilities First (AF): Encourages members of the CSC disability community to network, share disability-related information and create awareness about the talents and contributions of CSC employees with disabilities.
- Asian and Pacific Islander Network (CAPIN) : Enables the professional successes of members, strengthens CSC’s regional capabilities in high-growth Asia-Pacific markets; and shares knowledge with similar external organizations.
- Authentic Leadership (AL): Helps employees discover their sense of purpose, act in ways that align with their core values and behaviors, and achieve their goals as leaders and team members.
- Black Employee Network (BEN): Advances cultural diversity, professional development, and personal and professional growth through leadership and education, while leveraging opportunities for community outreach.
- Gays, Lesbians and Everyone Else (GLEE): Promotes awareness about lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues; provides a forum for employees to network; and engages in outreach activities that reinforce CSC’s standing as a diverse organization.
- Hispanic Network (CHN): Advocates cultural appreciation and offers networking opportunities for CSC’s Hispanic community. Members are encouraged to volunteer and take advantage of cultural experiences within their respective regions.
- Women in Leadership (WIL): Dedicated to attracting, retaining and motivating women with deep industry experience and broad perspectives, to support CSC’s increasingly global and diverse client base.
- Young Professional Resource Group (YPRG): Fosters a collaborative environment to aid the professional development of younger employees. Goals include facilitating full-time employment transitions and raising awareness about generational diversity at CSC.